by Rita Davidson
Tis the season for coughs and colds. YES. If it wasn’t for this COUGH I had I may have made this into a quick video for you, but that would NOT have been very pretty I assure you!
Bulging, watering eyes, coughing until you can cough no more. Multiply that by 4 kids here and we make Ohhhhh we make quite the chorus here. God loves to send us these penances every winter. And if you DON’T have a cough, well count yourself among the lucky ones. Can I come over to YOUR place? lol
So while I wipe Liam’s dripping nose and my own I thought I’d share my go to remedies for those sniffling like us.
- 1.First take an early temperature. This will give you an idea of what the starting temperature is, and if it goes up, you an watch the progress by monitoring it. When I trained in my Natural Health class this one tip saved us so much worry, as most don’t realize that temperatures will always follow the same curve. It goes up, PEAKS, and then tapers off. All the time. It has for 30 years for our family. Once you recognize the peak, you can feel confident every drop means it’s getting better.
- 2. EAT LIGHTLY – Then if they can eat (no vomiting) – be sure your only eating lightly. Crackers, fresh fruit or vegetables, bone broth. Don’t burden the body by feeding it lasagna. Just don’t do it.
- 3. Start drinking more water (phlegm will be looser when the body is more hydrated). Often those tight chests are from thick mucus. It all is much easier when you are well hydrated.
- 4. STEAM – so many people forget this simple method. Steam by putting your head covered with a towel, over pot of hot water. Be careful of course (don’t say I didn’t warn you), breathe through the nose for as long as the water stays hot. (Patience is a must. See God built in virtue work into our cold season. heehee )
- 5. SLEEP is MOST important as well. Sleep is when the body is doing all it’s repair. If you could sleep all day. (sure and let your house to go the dogs. lol) you would be over a cold much faster. So while most of us can’t just sleep it off, try go to bed earlier at least before 10 and maybe napping if you can. (besides napping helps you forget about coughing and all that discomfort too) 🙂
- 6. LAUGH – DID I say Laugh? you betchya…The more laughter the better. Laughter helps you pass the time a little better. Studies have shown it really does help the body heal. (I’ll have to find those studies later for you.) It helps you from feeling depressed. Can even help you forget you have a cold for a bit. Find some good clean movies or tell jokes with your family. Find ways to fit in more laughter. (save us from moody saints, St Teresa of Avila did say once.)
- 7. Vitamic C and Vitamin D are my favorite immune boosters and you can never have too much. At the start of a cold I up my Vitamin C to 3000mg a day and Vitamin D to 4000ui a day. Nothing like having some help to fight off bugs.
- 8. ESSENTIAL OILS – yes, my go to favorites for sniffle season. I’m not sure which ones I’m allowed to tell you to use so you’ll have to investigate that yourself right HERE. If you dont know where to get Essential Oils you can buy those right HERE.
- 9. VICK’S VAPO RUB – yup that old standard. If you don’t have essential oils on hand, pick up some of this. I know it’s not perfect, but it will open up those passages and bring some comfort. Instead of rubbing it just on your chest and back, rub this onto the souls of your feet this time. Especially into your BIG TOE. Studies show oils travel into the system much faster through our feet. Just don’t walk across the floor for a bit after… or you might have more than a cold. Woopee!
- 10. USE A WET CLOTH. Every get that cough that just won’t stop? I mean cough for 10 minutes straight until you break blood vessels on your face, and nearly throw up? Fastest way to stop that cough, put a wet cloth over your mouth for 15 minutes. Just lay it there and breath through it. You’ll be amazed how fast you stop coughing. Just try it. Helps little ones that have trouble falling asleep by giving them one before bed. This really helped Liam here.
- 11. OFFER it up. Oh yes, you knew this already…but you just were not wanting to. I mean once we offer it up isn’t God just going to send us something worse? Now why would God do that? Our Lady asked for penance for sinners. So take this little inconvenience (or BIG INCONVENIENCE if your REALLY sick) and offer it up for Our Lady to do what she needs with it. Knowing our little coughing in a corner of the world that can benefit the Church is a mighty powerful thing. 🙂
- And HEAVEN KNOWS the Church needs YOU right now. So don’t disappoint us. 🙂
I’m off to cough again…be well my friends and I hope this helps? Be sure to add your tips below if I missed something.
With love and a cough,
Rita is a Catholic wife, and mother of seven, with three autistic boys. Author, of “Immodesty, Satan’s Virtue” (2001) and speaker, she has a PASSION for making #realcatholicmodesty understood. She is a licensed Hairdresser, and Make Up Pro with a degree in Natural Health who enjoys essential oils. She enjoys making people smile and sharing God’s love with anyone who will listen. After overcoming a stroke, disabilities, they lost everything in a devastating house fire that made them homeless for six months. She is determined to lead souls back to Christ by finding the #realcatholicbeauty in their lives by carrying their cross with JOY!
©Copyright 2016 Rita Davidson & Little Flowers Family Press All Rights Reserved.