Gluten Free/Dairy-Free Chicken Pot Pie
More and more Catholics today are finding their health by eliminating wheat and other allergens. When I went gluten free three years ago now, I didn’t mind all I was missing since I was so ill for so long that it was a relief to get healthy again.
But once in a while I find a food and say wow, I have to taste that one more time! So, out comes my flours and off I go testing and researching how to best make this recipe. For those on my Facebook page who wanted this recipe I hope you enjoy it. For everyone else, wanting a quick and easy comfort food, free from both dairy as well as gluten here it is! Enjoy!
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup carrots
- ½ cup (your choice any combination of vegetables)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups water
- 4 teaspoons olive oil.
- 2 tablespoons gluten free flour blend (see my mix here)
- 1 chicken leg
- Put the olive oil in the pot, and sauté your chopped onion. Then add your spices, vegetables, chicken leg, brovil and water. Cook until soft. Adjust spices until you like it. Set aside.
- Remove your chicken leg, and pick off all the meat and skin and break it up small. Add it back into the vegetable mixture. Throw out bones.
- Take 2 teaspoons olive oil and put in a fry pan, add two tablespoons gluten free flour and mix together until it is all blended and thick. (You can do this GF Flour/Oil again to adjust how thick you want it.) Slowly add this mixture to your boiling vegetables and stir to thicken. Set aside.
- 1 ½ cups glutenfree flour blend (see mine here)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups water, coconut milk, or almond milk
Put all this into a bowl and mix until well smooth. Set aside.
Take out your casserole dishes (we used three for this one)
Fill each of them half-full with your vegetable mixture. (it should be quite thick). You need to leave enough room for your topping to rise!
Spoon your Topping you have set aside, on the top of your casserole vegetable mixture.
(Yes, it’s this easy!!!)
Preheat your oven to 375F and bake until top is brown, 20-30minutes. Then,
Share with me how you enjoyed this or how you changed it for your family? If you enjoy this recipe and have special diets in your home, be sure to let me know, and I’ll be happy to share more.
Rita Xo 🙂
Rita is a Catholic wife, and mother of seven, with three autistic boys. Currently a published author, she is a former hairdresser, professional make up artist with a degree in Natural Health. She is now a Young Living Distributor. After overcoming a stroke, disabilities, and more, they recently lost everything in a devastating house fire that made them homeless for six months. She is determined to lead souls back to Christ by carrying their crosses with Joy!
*adapted from The Perfect Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie, www.livethesmartway.com