Healing inside and out with Essential oils
By Rita Davidson
When three of our boys were diagnosed with autism, a lot of things had to change. Even though I was trained in Natural Health, the constant nagging about the environment and “save the earth” turned me off. In the earlier, (albeit stupid) days, I even wrote articles for environment magazines touting how to save the environment. (oh the stupidity!)
Fast forward to today, when I found myself with deteriorating health, three boys with autism and no cure in sight. So after finding a really good DAN! Doctor, the boys went glutenfree/dairyfree. Soon after I went glutenfree too. (I’m in denial about dairy! 🙂 As stress hit and adrenal fatigue was confirmed I reluctantly knew I had to make some changes. We had to change our diet and reduce the garbage in our life. You see it everywhere but its only when your health really starts to suffer, your sooo ready to change. (Stubborn people we are!) All this ‘saving the environment’ is a bit of a joke, when we realize it’s the ‘environment’ that is contributing to our poor health!
Take a look at this list from Dr. Mercola, how toxins are affecting our health:
- As much as possible, buy and eat organic produce and free-range, organic foods to reduce your exposure to agricultural chemicals. Eat mostly raw, fresh foods, steering clear of processed, prepackaged foods of all kinds. This way, you automatically avoid artificial food additives, including dangerous artificial sweeteners, food coloring, and MSG.
- Rather than eating conventional or farm-raised fish, which are often heavily contaminated with PCBs and mercury, supplement with a high-quality purified krill oil, or eat fish that is wild-caught and lab tested for purity.
- Store your food and beverages in glass rather than plastic, and avoid using plastic wrap and canned foods (which are often lined with BPA-containing liners).
- Have your tap water tested and, if contaminants are found, install an appropriate water filter on all your faucets (even those in your shower or bath).
- Only use natural cleaning products in your home.
- Switch over to natural brands of toiletries such as shampoo, toothpaste, antiperspirants, and cosmetics. The Environmental Working Group has a great database20 to help you find personal care products that are free of phthalates and other potentially dangerous chemicals. I also offer one of the highest quality organic skin care lines, shampoo and conditioner, and body butter that are completely natural and safe.
- Avoid using artificial air fresheners, dryer sheets, fabric softeners, or other synthetic fragrances.
- Replace your non-stick pots and pans with ceramic or glass cookware.
- When redoing your home, look for “green,” toxin-free alternatives in lieu of regular paint and vinyl floor coverings.
- Replace your vinyl shower curtain with one made of fabric, or install a glass shower door. Most all flexible plastics, like shower curtains, contain dangerous plasticizers like phthalates.
- Limit your use of drugs (prescription and over-the-counter) as much as possible. Drugs are chemicals too, and they will leave residues and accumulate in your body over time.
- Avoid spraying pesticides around your home or insect repellants that contain DEET on your body. There are safe, effective, and natural alternatives out there.
So last summer when I found Essential oils it seemed to fit right what we needed. I mean I had cupboards filled with herbs, and tinctures, and made my own ointments from herbs. But I was a little skeptic about Young Living. After all, who was this company? I tried out my first oil, Valor and was impressed. I mean not a ton, but well, it was pretty nice.
So, when our son August tried another oil, PanAway for his tight muscles and nearly sang from the relief, it peaked my interest! Peace and Calming helped with his general anxiety too, another bonus.
Then our house fire hit and changed our lives forever. That was July 2013 and we were quickly put out on the street with nothing but the clothes on our back. Lucky to be alive, we now had a new set of obstacles to climb. (Most of which I’ll share another time) So when I contacted the company about my Essential oils, I was overly surprised to hear they were willing to replace all the oils I had lost! AT NO CHARGE! That was amazing a company would do this. I mean since our fire, I have talked to dozens and dozens of companies about replacing our lost items and some did and some didn’t. But Young Living had no problem replacing it It arrived in a few days by FedEx. I was impressed.
Recently I was digging around and accidentally found some research on Gary Young, the founder, that I thought was neat. He had become paralyzed in a wheelchair from a near fatal logging accident when he was only 24yrs old. (that is always a life changer I thought!) Three years after his accident he began to get feeling in his toes and fingers. He started using Essential oils for the pain and went on to regain full mobility back. He then devoted his life to sharing his knowledge of the oils.
Today he owns, distills oils and oversees operations for Young Living from all around the world. He opens the fields and processing plants to everyone every year.
For us, we are grateful to have found these natural products for our health and proud to have such a generous company like Young Living that cared enough about us after our fire, to help us get on our feet again. God knew just what we needed too as our lives were brought full circle again.
Living on the road basically homeless for six months, we carried the concentrated oils everywhere as we moved from place to place. They helped with everything from Anxiety and Depression, to muscle pulls and headaches, the ever-constant colds we got after the fire, insect stings, burns and more. They proved to us their worth and value as we were forced to depend on them after our fire. I am now so happy to share these oils, and see families whose lives are made better by these amazing oils as we are.
Watch for my upcoming,
“Intro to Essential Oils for Catholic Health and beauty” ! Coming here soon!!!
Rita is a Catholic wife, and mother of seven, with three autistic boys. Currently a writer, & published author, she is a former hairdresser, professional make up artist with a degree in Natural Health. Founder, of Little Flowers Family, she is now a happy Young Living Distributor. After overcoming a stroke, disabilities, and more, they recently lost everything in a devastating house fire that made them homeless for six months. She is determined to lead souls back to Christ by carrying their crosses with Joy!
©Copyright 2014 Rita Davidson All Rights Reserved.
*Environmental Toxins Linked to Rise in Autism by Dr. Mercola, April 2, 2014
*Biography of Dr. Gary Young